Outlandish Swap V: The Fiery Cross
Scottish clans were originally a Highland way of life. The Highland clan was, above all things, a family; a family in which everybody believed they were all, from chief to blacksmith, descended from one founder or progenitor. They regarded themselves as very close kinsmen. This Swap is dedicated to such clan families and will be organized into four clans.
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Final Highland Games Answers
1. Who technically runs or keeps everything in order at Castle Leoch? Mrs. FitzGibbons (A nod to the Mackenzie’s own Jules1960)
2. Who turned Jamie into the Watch after returning to Lallybroch with Claire? Ronnie McNab He’s the father of Rabbie McNab, the boy Jamie makes a stable lad and tells him not to beat his child anymore.
3. How did men of Lallybroch handle the situation? Killed him, burned the croft down. The men took Mrs. McNabb, Rabbie and other children in to the main house to work. He apparently holds a grudge, and the men of Lallybroch had to show him justice.
4. Besides giving Claire the promise of keeping her fed, Jamie also told her she was safe. What specifically examples of how he'd protect Claire? You are safe. You have my name my family, my clan and if necessary the protection of my body.
5. What were the pagan wedding vows Claire and Jamie recite after formally marrying in the church? “Ye are Blood of my Blood, and Bone of my Bone./ I give ye my Body, that we Two might be One./ I give ye my Spirit, 'til our Life shall be Done.” When I first read Outlander, I thought this was a chilling statement of what marriage should be. Then to find out, it's the way Jamie and Clarie's really is.
6. What is the gossip of who Leticia slept with and is Hamish's father? Hint: It isn't Dougal. Geile says the gossip is that Jamie is the father because of the red hair. Everyone seems to forget that Jamie’s mother and grandfather (Hamish’s too) were gingers.
7. Why did Jamie offer to take the punishment for Laoghaire during Hall? Pity. He was concerned that she would be shamed in front of everyone who knew her and it would have taken time to get over.
8. Who is supposed to have information regarding the murder Jamie is accused of? Horrocks, an English deserter. A few people mentioned Hodgepile, who is indeed another informant/secret keeper to the plot of an Outlander novel and English deserter, but he is important in later books.
9. What is the key to tickling trout? Pick a good spot and wait. The theory is if you are still enough and patient enough the trout will be lulled into a sense that your hand is really a piece of the landscape and will be shocked to find themselves launched on the bank and the subject of someone’s breakfast.
10. What happened when Jamie first met the Duke of Sandringham that made him leery of going on an extended hunting expedition with the man? Sandringham made sexual advances at Jamie.
The winner will be posted tomorrow sometime. Just a warning, I had some problems with my camera so no promises of the wee bairns drawing names out of the hand-knit felted cloche.