Outlandish Swap V: The Fiery Cross
Scottish clans were originally a Highland way of life. The Highland clan was, above all things, a family; a family in which everybody believed they were all, from chief to blacksmith, descended from one founder or progenitor. They regarded themselves as very close kinsmen. This Swap is dedicated to such clan families and will be organized into four clans.
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Your assignment: solve the quest and send me a picture or image.
Example: Find a photo of how Claire travels in time. The answer to this is the standing stones at Craig na Dun.
Acceptable responses would be:
So there is not question about whether or not you were successful on your quest, you should include the words to your answer – such as, standing stones outside of Inverness or standing stones at Craig na Dun. That way, if I am looking at the stones and think they are the ones at Stonehenge, I would know that you had the right answer.
1. Find a photo of the location of the last battle of the 1745 Rising.
2. Find an image of the English commanding general announcing defeat at the Battle of Gladsmuir.
3. Find a portrait of the man who shows Claire the broadsheet calling her “The Stuart Witch”
4. Find a photo of where Dougal MacKenzie died.
5. If the 1745 Rising succeeded, find a portrait of the man who would have been King
6. Find a portrait of the author of the book from which Claire recalls information about the Battle of Prestonpans.
7. Find a photo of the place where Jamie expects to find Claire after she is turned over to the English.
8. Find a photo of the bell tower in the town that Prince Charles Edward Stuart was blooded in his first battle.
9. Find an illustration of Jamie’s grandfather at the time of his death
10. Find a portrait of the Bourbon King who lived at the Palace where Colum MacKenzie dies.
Mordag (Abitknottie) submits this suggestion: If you have any general questions please post them in the games thread. Specific questions should be sent to via pm in Ravelry to Abitknottie (our Mordag) and Vivian5 (Joan Murray). As usual, submit your answers email@example.com.
This challenge ends at midnight on April 17. Please submit your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org and please use "Murray Challenge" in the subject line. As usual, please include your swap name and ravelry name to help identify everyone.
Sunday, April 5, 2009
Round 2 Clan Standings:
Fraser: 0 – since they authored the games
Additional awards: (for bragging rights)
Early bird: Eilis Beauchamp submitted her answers at 12:16 on March 20.
Sneaker: Edme of Clan Murray squeaked in with 4 minutes to spare at 11:56 p.m. On March 28. This is the second week in a row she's claimed this title.
Best Curse: Mordag of Clan Murray: “May your cottages be covered in this freaking plant (Pellitory of the Wall) and let the person who thought up this question have the nettle juice drip on her!”
21 of 46 clan members participated in the first round of the Highland Games, that's 46 percent. This round, Clan Fraser sat out, since they sponsored the round.
Clans Murray scored an additional point for having the highest participation in this round of the games, and that's because Brigitte (sinkitty) participated, even though she didn't score any points. Proof participation matters!
Clan Beauchamp had 47 percent or 7 of 15 members participate, earning 60 points.
Clan Mackenzie had 40 percent or 6 of 15 members participate, earning 64 points.
Clan Murray had 50 percent or 8 of 16 members participate, earning 72 points.
Special thanks goes to Fiona and the Frasers for writing the challenge, tallying the results and sending them to me.
1. a. What Hebrew letter is this: aelph
b. What character expounds on this? Comte St. Germaine
c. What did the character say about the occult meaning of this letter? the font of Christ's blood
2. A) “it’s kept near the fleur-de-lys stamped jar in the healer’s box; what is this herb?” Pellitory-of-the-Wall
B) this herb/plant is related to: ________ Stinging Nettle
C) answer B is used to do what in this section? make a fake pox pustule
D) what other herbs/plants are mention in conjunction with answer B? rosemary & madder
E) one of these herbs/plants produces a certain color, what is that color? madder = crimson pee pee!
*note: there were some other herb/plant answers that were correct for parts c, d & e...if you did not answer the crossword & I "graded" you on this question individually, I allowed for those other answers.
3. He learned from a famous Calvin; although he bears more resemblance to the wild man of borneo...
"He" shares an acquaintance with Claire...one who may have replaced the dispicable du Carrefours."
Who is the shared acquaintance, and What city did each of these people meet their common acquaintance in?
4. Her home in France seems to include much from a nearby country. Along with the intentional acquisitions, there is a fugitive from the same country. Name the "acquisitions" (both animate & inanimate), and the fugitive from this country.
Shared acquaintance is Master Raymond, Claire met him in Paris, the mystery "him" (who was Walter Laurent) met Raymond in Geneva.
acquisitions: cuckoo clock, Berta & Maurice (who were possibly brother & sister), and the fugitive was Reverend Walter Laurent. I also saw the monkey & a sconce mentioned as other objects from Switzerland, which I would have double checked if it had mattered with regard to the scoring...
5. Translate this:
, qui es in caelis:
sanctificetur Nomen Tuum;
adveniat Regnum Tuum;
fiat voluntas Tua,
sicut in caelo, et in terra.
Panem nostrum cotidianum da nobis hodie;
et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
Sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris;
et ne nos inducas in tentationem;
sed libera nos a Malo
This is the Lord's Prayer.
6. a life has been lost
a life is placed at her feet
a color remains
Whose life? Faith
Whose life? Bouton
What color? Blue
*note: this question was in direct reference to the scene in the hospital just before Master Raymond visits her & heals her.
7. name the man who wrote:
"freedom and Whisky gang tegither"
and name his poem too!
name the man, name the poem: Robert Burns, "The Author's Earnest Cry and Prayer"
8. a limb that's injured
a creamy colored treatment
the beast who caused it
whose limb? Jamie
what is the treatment? Hanged Man's grease (or "salve")
what beast? horse (or the specific animal -- also accepted Fergus as the one who caused it, lol)
9. news so long delayed
hand does not match appearance
"she" is met mid way
news regarding what place? Lisbon
whose hand? Murtaugh's (it was commented that his handwriting was quite nice/neat -- "not the formless scrawl she expected")
"she" is met by whom? Jamie ("she" is the ship, which stops in Lisbon midway through the trip & Jamie goes aboard then)
10. fill in this crossword -- or simply send us the words in a list format.
2. cuckoo clock
5. master raymond
1. lords prayer
4. stinging nettle
~Submitted by Clan Fraser