1) He had no wish to cast aspersions,
Nay wish to arouse suspicions,
Did he know about his wife?
Some say “not on your life” –
Cuckold simply a French tradition.
Who am I?
Answer: Jules de la Tour, husband of Princesse Louise Rohan de la Tour, mistress to Bonnie Prince Charles.
2) A prince whose funds were frighteningly low
And little or nothing to borrow
With partner extreme
A new business scheme
From “where” would the needed cash flow?
Answer: The scheme was for Prince Charles to partner with St. Germain to import port from Gostos, the Portuguese island. The limerick asks “from where” the money would flow, which includes the source of the money Charles invested with Germain -- which includes the loan from the Italian banker Manzetti.
3) A real man, full of secrets, for sure
His thoughts, his deeds, many quite impure.
His wigs kept dusted,
Nay to be trusted
Who is this “invité d’honneur?”
Answer: The “guest of honor” is
4) To this “biscuit” family trilogy
Our fave Scot would’na pledge fealty
One blood, many lands,
Seeking an upper hand.
Who fought to expand their realty?
Answer: Three Bourbon Cousins: King James of
5) A Darn John, All Tan = Jonathan Randall -- need we say more?
6) Our Entire Slum = Rue Tremoulins -- anything but slumlike, this was home to Jamie and Claire while in
7) Mama Crunch Acorns = Marcus MacRannoch -- a big bear of a man, is mentioned in passing
8) “Murtagh’s eye, the morning after” = rotten banana (describing the way his eye looked the night after the hullaballoo w/ Mary Hawkins).
9) Queen Charlottes “house” = Castellotti (as in Castle and Lotti, a nickname for
10) A bird of prey stayed here = Rue Malory (the street on where Mary or Silas “HawksInn” resided)
ETA: Based on feedback from several sisters, perhaps we Beauchamps were a bit hasty or too strict in the interpretations of our answers. For that, we are humbly apologetic.