Outlandish Swap V: The Fiery Cross
Scottish clans were originally a Highland way of life. The Highland clan was, above all things, a family; a family in which everybody believed they were all, from chief to blacksmith, descended from one founder or progenitor. They regarded themselves as very close kinsmen. This Swap is dedicated to such clan families and will be organized into four clans.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Highland Games Answers: Round 2
1. Throws a rosary made of Jet beads around her neck. Jett is supposed to burn a witch’s skin and obviously it didn’t burn her skin. This is one scene where Claire realizes Jamie’s showmanship.
2. Not to fight/do anything and not talk about it the next day. “You want me. Let the woman go, and ye can have me. Do what you wish to me. I’ll not struggle, though I’ll allow you to bind me, if you think it needful. And I’ll not speak of it come tomorrow. But first you’ll see the woman safe from the prison.”
3. Collecting plants or botany. And I also accepted “herbology” from an obvious Harry Potter fan.
4. Herring, in many forms
7. The basics: She’d been attacked by English soldiers, including Randall, she then told them that she was a widow from Oxfordshire traveling to distant relatives in France when she was attacked. She lost everything. Here are additional details: Dougal kidnapped her. She went on to tell Colum that she had been attacked by English soldiers, specifically a man name Randall. She explained the confrontation w/ Dougal and Randall’s men. She shared the facts of the conversation with Randall. She embellished the part about being a widowed lady from Oxfordshire traveling with a manservant en route to distant relatives in France. They were set upon by highwaymen; her servant killed or ran off. She went into the woods and was captured where she had to abandon all property and her horse. She ran into Randall while wandering in the woods.
8. Died in a car accident when she was 5
9. Ellen refused the man her brother had picked for her and ran away with Brian Fraser. The jilted suitor, Malcom Grant, left the Gathering quickly and quietly. The same way Ellen and Brian left. They hid in a crofter’s cottage until she was violently pregnant and came back for her brother to approve of the marriage. The family Bible lists their marriage and Brian wrote “Marrit for love” next to it. I also accepted details of how the marriage contract was written that property, Lallybroch, would pass on to her children or in the case of no children, back to Lord Lovat after the death of Brian Fraser, regardless if he married again or if he had more children.
10. Uncle Lamb was a scholar of antiquities. I also accepted answers that provided similar job descriptions of archeologist. How did it help her? She lived rough, dug latrines and other unseemly activities for a girl/woman of gentle birth.