Outlandish Swap V: The Fiery Cross
Scottish clans were originally a Highland way of life. The Highland clan was, above all things, a family; a family in which everybody believed they were all, from chief to blacksmith, descended from one founder or progenitor. They regarded themselves as very close kinsmen. This Swap is dedicated to such clan families and will be organized into four clans.
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Highland Games Round 6 Answers
2. What is the most revolting thing Claire finds in David Beaton’s medical “clinic” in Castle Leoch? Of all of the icky things in there – from the skull to wood lice – but the most revolting items are the bloody bone saws and other amputation devices. Not only is the concept revolting, but the filth disturbed every fiber of the nurse/doctor inside Claire.
3. Who is Murtagh? Jamie’s godfather, who was very fond of Ellen Mackenzie Fraser, but was a Fraser. Why does Jamie trust him with his life? Murtagh swore an oath to protect Jamie when he was a tiny infant. You either needed to include the fact Murtagh was Jamie’s godfather or he had sworn an oath to Jamie’s parents when he was born to protect the child to get credit.
4. Why does Jamie cross himself when the Plover flies off? Plovers have the souls of mothers who have died young in childbirth. They cry and run about their nests because they don't believe the young are safely hatched. They are always mourning for the lost one or looking for the child left behind. Jamie first heard the story when he was a child, most likely shortly after his mother died.
5. How old was Jamie when his mother died? Eight. He remarks that he was at least weaned, but of course that doesn’t make it any easier.
6. How does Jamie describe intimate contact with Claire? Other women were “verra pleasant” his heart would pound and breath would come short, but with Claire “suddenly it’s as though I’ve a living flame in my arms. And I want only to throw myself into it and be consumed.” Morgana Fraser also included this tidbit that comes while they are living at the abbey, which is incredibly descriptive and a correct answer to the question: “I thought of those small tender sounds ye make when I love you. I could feel ye there next to me in the dark breathing soft and then faster, and the little grunt that ye give when I first take you as though you were settling yourself to your job. . . Even better . . . when I come to ye fierce and wanting, and you whimper under me and struggle as though you wanted to get away and I know it’s only that you are struggling to come closer and I’m fighting the same fight. . . or when I come to you needing and ye take me into you with a sigh and that quiet hum like a hive of bees in the sun and ye carry me wi’ you into peace with a little moaning sound.”
7. Who is Hugh Munro and why is he given special consideration among the area parishes? A friend of Jamie. He was captured by the Turks at sea and spent years in the galley of a ship. They cut out his tongue, broke his leg and his feet were burned in boiling oil in hopes of converting him to Islam. He is considered a martyr.
8. What is a gaberlunzie? A license to beg.
9. When did Claire discover that Rupert’s advice on stabbing a man with a dirk was highly accurate? Briefly describe the situation. Claire and Jamie left to “fetch water” which is almost like going to make-out point and “admiring the view.” Two redcoat deserters showed up and held a gun to Jamie’s head and then attempted to rape Claire. Claire attempted to stab him in the back, up into the kidneys, but hit a rib the first shot, and killed the dude the second time. Jamie took out the other guy.
10. What is a changeling? What the Wee Folk or Fairies leave behind when they steal a child. It’s distinguishable because it cries and fusses all the time and doesn’t thrive or grow. It is a sickly child. What do parents do with a changeling? Parents leave the changeling out side on a Fairy Hill or some other special spot in hopes the fairies will return the right child to the parents. Most of the time the child dies of exposure. It’s probably good that most states have safe haven laws to accommodate the changelings out there, today.
There were fewer 100 percent responses this round, but then there were fewer entries overall.
Remember Round 7 of the games is not due until Midnight Nov. 4. If we are lucky we'll know who the next U.S. President is by our deadline.