Outlandish Swap V: The Fiery Cross
Scottish clans were originally a Highland way of life. The Highland clan was, above all things, a family; a family in which everybody believed they were all, from chief to blacksmith, descended from one founder or progenitor. They regarded themselves as very close kinsmen. This Swap is dedicated to such clan families and will be organized into four clans.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Twas a difficult challenge this week but ye did well. Each question was answered correctly, more than once. I pulled all of the questions out of Chapter 10, hoping to make things a wee bit easier.
As to the part B - well, we needed to find a link in Rav, outside of Outlander, that had Voltaire, coney (or rabbit), Heloise, devil or cauldron, and Agustus. It could have been the name of a pattern, part of a forum conversation, the name of a project, the name of a company. Even a different spelling was acceptable.
For 1b, I even accepted a place mat pattern as Voltaire was a dinner guest. These answers were varied and clever, and too numerous to mention all of them.
1. Who is Monsieur Voltaire? (pg. 124 Jamie: ...I was privileged to entertain Voltaire at my table...He seldom said anything at all, let alone much sparkling with wit.)
2. What is a coney? (pg 131 LJG: what is it that caused you to leave...and seek congress with the coneys on the moor? There is a belief that if the first words out of your mouth on the 1st day of the month is Rabbit Rabbit ~ or ~ Rabbit Rabbit White Rabbit your entire month will be filled with good luck.
3. What is Nouvelle Heloise? (pg123 Helloise was the go-to person for household hints pre Martha Stewart. I believe Hints from Helloise was given to many brides at bridal showers.)
4. What is Devil’s Cauldron? (pg 115: They call this spot the Devil's Cauldron because of the way it boils all the time. pg 134: ye'll maybe have heard of a place called the Devil's Cauldron. One of these references is in chapter 9, the other in 10.)
5. Who is Agustus? (pg 125: destined for the supper of the cat Agustus. Agustus was also the first Emperor of Rome. )
Thank ye kindly fer all yer hard work this week. It has paid off.